Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Doing Time - the play

I've finally gotten around to publishing Doing Time on-line, something I've been meaning to do for a long time now. Mac and I co-wrote the play in 2007, sending various versions back and forth to each other via e-mail, and chatting for hours and hours on the phone about it.

We premiered the original version of the play in Halifax in November, 2007, with Kris Lee McBride as Leda, Christina Cuffari as Jane (that's Mac with Christina in the picture - they became very good friends, and Mac was blown away by her performance), and Nick Lachance as the Administrator.

I flew Mac up from Kansas City (ahh... the wonders of corporate overhead), and he stayed with me for a week as we staged the play - we had a great time hanging out, chatting about life, watching movies, and, of course, working with the actors to stage a great run that was very well-received here in Halifax (the play was named one of the year's best by the Coast Magazine).

After we finished that initial run, I suggested that we make some changes to Mac to make it easier to stage, with just two characters instead of three. He thought that it actually worked better, as it focused even more on the isolation that Leda would feel (and eventually Jane as well), so he told me to "get on with it." I had the final revisions completed by May, 2008, and Mac signed off on it after he made a couple of minor tweaks. It is this revised / final version of the play that I have uploaded. I premiered it at the 2008 Boulder International Fringe Festival, with Annie Briggs as Leda and Christina as Jane. They did an amazing job, which I wish Mac could have seen - we had discussed flying him out from Kansas City to Denver, but he was tied up with another project at the time (as I recall, it was the episode of Supernatural Investigator that he was filming with my friend Mike MacDonald, although I'm not 100% sure of that).

Mac and I developed the play as a feature film during 2009 (with a lot of changes, but the basic story is more or less the same), and I plan to begin filming later this year.

Paul Kimball

No comments:

Post a Comment